Organize a Community Event
In Phase 3 of BC's Restart Plan we know that many people are looking to find a safe way to connect and engage within the community.
Though a lot of Westsiders are in Community Groups or are finding creative ways to spend time together in safe ways, take a moment to consider that there are still many in our church that don't have those same connections and may be looking for a way to engage safely.
The first step to meeting people is often hard to take, but God has designed us for community and we all need people to do life with.
Our goal is to support and equip you to create opportunities to engage together safely, using your spiritual gifts and talents to minister to one another.
ORGANIZE A COMMUNITY EVENT
This means we're asking you to consider hosting a small outdoor gathering that follows guidelines put forth by the BC government. We believe "The safer we are, the more we can do!".
Being safe will create a space where all people in our community can engage, whether they feel particularly vulnerable to the virus or perhaps don't feel vulnerable at all. Here are some examples of events you might consider:
- Outdoors hangs (keep everyone safe by asking everyone to bring their own food).
- A ride or walk around the sea wall.
- A hike on Mount Seymour.
- A park play date for families with kids.
- Art session in the park.
- Watch the sunset or stargaze.
There are common threads with all of the examples above:
1. They are outside.
2. They are simple.
3. They can be small.
4. They can be safe. (They have the ability for everyone involved to follow government guidelines.)
If you are nervous to organize an event like this well and follow government guidelines, your comfort is our priority:
1. Check out the guidelines we put forth in our communication on Phase 3 of BC's Restart Plan.
2. You can decide how many people you are comfortable hosting, within guidelines.
3. Guests will need to agree to a waiver to attend, making it clear participation is at their own risk/discretion.
4. We'll check in with with you before we post anything and support you every step of the way.
Consider that your backyard, your porch, or your building's roof patio can be a God given opportunity for you to provide a connection point for the community. Or, simply do the outdoor activities you love to do, but invite others in to do it with you safely!