OUR NEXT BAPTISMS
Date: November 7, 2021
Location: Westside Church, 777 Homer Street (on stage)
WHAT IS BAPTISM?
Baptism is the Christian act of immersing a believer under water and then bringing them up and out. It is a public sign that a person has repented of sins, received forgiveness of sins, died with Christ to sin, been raised to newness of life and received the Holy Spirit. It is also a sign of the believer’s incorporation into the body of Christ as expressed in the local church (Galatians 3:26-28) and a pledge to serve Christ.
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
Baptism is fundamentally an act of obedience for all those who have repented of sin and trusted in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. Every Christian is commanded to be baptized as a sign that they have been united with Jesus in his burial and resurrection (Romans 6:1-10; Colossians 2:12).
If someone has not repented of sin and put their faith in Jesus, they should not be baptized. Therefore, this means that non-Christians as well as children who are too young to comprehend or demonstrate repentance and faith should not be baptized. But if you have come to believe that Jesus is God in the flesh, who came and lived a sinless life, was crucified until death on a cross for your sins and was resurrected on the third day, conquering Satan, sin, and death and giving you new life, then you should be baptized!
INTERESTED IN BEING BAPTIZED? HERE ARE YOUR NEXT STEPS:
- Go through the Essentials Course where we’ll unpack our mission, vision, and values. If you've already completed this course you won't have to do it again.
- Complete the baptism application which includes writing a brief version of your testimony (how you came to know Jesus, what has led you to want to get baptized, etc.)
- Meet with the elders and share your short testimony. Most people find this to be a meaningful and encouraging moment as the elders listen to your story, encourage you, and pray for you.
- Record your 30 second testimony video to be played at Westside on Baptism Sunday. Don’t worry, we’ll help you with this. Also, the initial testimony you submit with your application will serve as the basis for this)
- Get baptized! We don’t see baptism so much as a decision to be made as simply a step in discipleship. Disciples of Jesus get baptized; we celebrate with you in your journey of discipleship.
*After you register we'll provide you with a full baptism schedule with more information on each step.
Have questions? Email email@example.com